Sunday, November 13, 2011

Creating your positive pep talk


Do you hate Mondays? Not a morning person? Giving yourself a pep talk in the morning before you go to work can get you ready for the day and one in the evening can offer confirmation. Think about the coach of a football team, a coach revs up the players before the game and after the game whether they lose or win, confirms what went well and offers encourage for the next game. I witnessed this form of positive enforcement when I recently took my 8 year old daughter to school. All the children were standing in their respective lines waiting to go inside. As I was leaving, the principal came out with a bull horn and said the following, which everyone had to repeat:

Principal: Good morning, children.

Everyone: Good morning.

Principal: I am special.

Everyone: I am special. (repeated 2 times)

Principal: We are special.

Everyone: We are special. (repeated 2 times)

Principal: We absolutely, positively love our school.

Everyone: We absolutely, positively love our school.

Principal: Have a good day.

Everyone: Have a good day.

After the morning" pep talk," everyone was led into the school. I began thinking that this is a wonderful way to start the day – a pep talk. It starts you on the right track and prepares your mind with positive thinking. Do you have pep talk? What do you tell yourself each day when you wake up and before you lay down to go to sleep?

Preparing the pep talk

So you're thinking, 'what can I say? How should I start?' Your personally designed pep talk should include (but is not limited to) the following:

  • At least 3 - 5 sentences of positivity
  • Something easy to remember
  • Should be said with conviction and each sentence repeated at least once

Here are some examples:

Pep Talk AM:

Today is a new day.

I am good at what I do.

I will learn something new.

I will not let others change my attitude.

I will do well today.

This is a great exercise for those of you who hate Mondays or are not morning people. I challenge you to create a positive pep talk and recite it every day and see the difference in your attitude at the start and end of the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well this post certainly reminds me of the time when I worked as a guidance counselor. It was a great job but the pay was not enough for my mortgage. Now I am working from home selling import export goods online, mostly digital items and gifts for this upcoming Christmas. My profits have been looking great and I was able to pay off my mortgage also. Everyone can do this, work from home and earn big profits online. The question is HOW and WHERE to find info.