Wednesday, November 25, 2009

What Are You Thankful For?

The holidays are quickly approaching and this is the time of year when we reflect on our successes and goals and also begin thinking about what we can do to reach the next level the following year. Admittedly, this year has been challenging- economically and environmentally. Some have lost jobs, didn’t get promotions or pay raises, or lost funding due to employer budget cuts. If you have been a victim to any
or all of the above, you’re wondering, ‘what do I have to be thankful for?’
Here are a few things to think about, can you relate?

1. I am thankful that I have my “workplace mental health”.
We all know how difficult it can be to maintain a realm of sanity in the workplace when the phone is constantly ringing, clients are popping in and out of the office, a project is due, and you have a supervisor who is behaving like a ‘helicopter mom.’ In order to maintain workplace mental health(yes, workplace mental health- home mental health is a totally different subject) Some ways to maintain workplace
mental health are: take breaks, meditate, and get organized in order to stay productive. Your day will go smoother, you will be more focused, and your boss will hover away (hopefully)!

2. I am thankful for the relationships I have created through my membership with professional organizations.

I have had the pleasure of meeting some dynamic individuals who have made an influence on my life personally and professionally. Do you need someone to talk to during the day when you are stressed? Or do you have a question, call a member! Believe me, it is the best form of release therapy! My advice is to grab a member and
become a mentor or get mentored! Tap into each others brains.

3. I am thankful for the new skills I have received and the old skills I have improved.
I have attended many seminars and workshops which have given me new insights. So you can’t attend every workshop or seminar, surf the internet, there are many FREE programs available online at sites like HP Learning Center and Microsoft. Not only are you improving your skills and adding to your resume, you are making
yourself more indispensable and an asset to your company or the next one. The other alternative to the internet is - pick up a book! My favorites are the Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey, Messages: The Communications Skills Book by Dr. Matthew McKay, and Become an Inner Circle Assistant by Joan Burge.

4. I am thankful for the honors and acknowledgments I have received this year.
This was a very busy year for me. Finally, after 16 years, I received a Bachelors Degree in Psychology. Shortly thereafter, I received the IAAP Member of Excellence and the CAP certification. My philosophy is better late than never! If you’re like me, once you reach a goal there is a sense of fulfillment and completion (or at least until the next goal is reached). So, set a goal for an achievement, the feeling of accomplishment is as blissful as receiving the award.

So what are you thankful for? Post your comment.

1 comment:

paulsmith198914@gmail.com said...

It is easy to set a goal for an achievement, the feeling of accomplishment is as blissful as receiving the award. Cooperation with (proof reading services) can be mutually beneficial and useful.