Tuesday, March 30, 2010

To Speak or Not to Speak?

Have you ever walked past a co-worker and said good morning only to have no response or a blank stare? Do you share a cubicle with someone who doesn't seem to have two words to say to you? Does this behavior seem rude? Do you think this person does not like you? Here are some comments from people on the subject:

Honestly why does this matter? You are there to work not become best friends with people. While I agree it is a nice pleasantry to greet people with a cheery good morning or hello some people just don't...I wouldn't let it bother me at all.

I only bother to say good morning to people that I walk right past on my way in, which means I won't greet some of the people who work in my office all day. But if anyone wants to make the effort to say good morning to everybody, I will certainly reciprocate the greeting.

Some people are not morning people and just do not want to speak to people in the morning. And some people are just so into themselves that they don't focus on others around them until it suits them.

There are many kinds of personality types within the workplace and our #1 priority is to be able to work with all of them and get the work done. The reality is that some people just don't like to say 'good morning' or 'hello.' Perhaps they are having a bad day, or need to improve their interpersonal skills- nine times out of 10 it has nothing to do with YOU. The bottom line is: do what makes you feel good (as long as it doesn't offend others) and don't take it personal…..

2 comments:

LaShaune said...

Living in the South, it's a prerequisite to "speak". I'm normally not the "Good morning Ya'll" type but have had to force it (work on it) in my current dept since my co-workers felt that I was unapproachable. Oh well, biding my time until I can move back North (or win the lottery).

Dewoun Hayes said...

From reading your posts, I find it hard to believe that you are unapproachable! As you probably know, different personalities perceive differently. We don't have to make best friends in the workplace only get along.

Thanks for the comment.